jueves, 4 de junio de 2015

Analysis of subskills and strategies to improve my performance in English VII


Analysis of subskills and strategies to improve my performance in English VII


Test Type
Identification of Weaknesses
Strategies to overcome my weaknesses
READING: PAPER 1
PART 3
GAPPED TEXT
Vocabulary: I didn’t know the expression “be made redundant”


I searched for the expression “be made redundant” and found an internet entry in Yahoo!Answers where some native speakers explained in detailed how they understood this expression. 
Vocabulary: I didn’t know the expression “stepping in for someone”.
I can relate this expression to a cultural work, so as to learn it meaningfully. I found out that the idiom is related to American painter John Trumbull and his Declaration of Independence in which Thomas Jefferson is portrayed as stepping in for John Adams.
Concentration: I was not fully concentrated during the listening exercise. I did not have a good breakfast that day and I had not sleep well.
I’ll obviously try not to fall into the same mistakes again.
I’ll also seek to get closer to the CD player because I think that the more I drew near to it, the better I understood in detail the listening exercise.
READING: PAPER 1
PART 4
MULTIPLE CHOICE

Vocabulary: stretches of DNA, linkage, draft, threadworm, yeast and lifespan, barring, subsidise, annuity
I’ve already looked up for the meanings but I plan to practice them in my mind by reading two short articles by the Science for Science and Culture, entitled Epigenetics and Disease: Thinking Outside the Box and Response To John Rennie at Scientific American. These contain these kind of words and I want to read them because I am very interested in the topic of Intelligent Design.
Some idiomatic expressions: in simple fashion, go bust, hold your breath, go smoothly
I searched the Spanish equivalents of these expressions in the webpage Linguee. I’ll try to include them in my everyday school vocabulary.
USE OF ENGLISH: PAPER 3 PART 1
OPEN CLOZE
Vocabulary: summit, shortage, confessional, runaway, bookish, fetched.
To reread the text, paying special attention to these words and they are used in context.

I used the word “with” instead of “among”.
I looked up for the grammatical use of among and I can answer some exercises from EnglishGrammar101
USE OF ENGLISH: PAPER 3
PART 2
WORD FORMATION
Vocabulary: I didn’t know the verbs throw about, and the adjective blurred.
To have a record of these words by using a Vocabulary Chart*

I couldn’t come up with the affixes for the derivative words concurrently, tempestuous & disclose.
To differentiate between the words currently and concurrently, tempest and tempestuous, and the affix un- and dis-
USE OF ENGLISH: PAPER 3
PART 3
GAPPED SENTENCES

Vocabulary singly, muttered, dock, figurine, and lay down
To have a record of these words by using a Vocabulary Chart*
I didn’t know the collocations within the expressions sense of honor, and take an opportunity
To differentiate between the expressions sense of honor & sense of humanity, as well as have an opportunity and take an opportunity.
USE OF ENGLISH: PAPER 3
PART 4
KEY WORD TRANSFORMATIONS

Causative structure “…to have the gas cut off…”
Though I know the structure, I not always have it very present so I need to solve some of the exercises I found in ToLearnEnglish.com
Phrasal verbs: cut off, pay off
To have a record of these words by using a Vocabulary Chart*
Idiomatic expressionstouch-and-go” and “have no regrets”
To find synonyms of these expressions.
Wordsplash.
LISTENING: PAPER 4
PART 1
MULTIPLE CHOICE

I didn’t know the expressionbe overlong
To write some examples using it.
Vocabulary: “amenity
To have a record of these words by using a Vocabulary Chart*
LISTENING: PAPER 4
PART 2
SENTENCE COMPLETION

Vocabulary: cookery, sorbets, sleeve, paddle, handle
To have a record of these words by using a Vocabulary Chart*

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario